Why It’s Time to Challenge Win-Win Negotiations
What is a win-win negotiation? Is it even appropriate to think a win-win negotiation is achievable? The fantastic Mr. Chris Voss, author of Never Split the Difference, returns to the Negotiations Ninja podcast. Chris was the FBI’s Chief International Hostage Negotiator for many years and is an author and prolific speaker. In this episode, we challenge the widely-held belief of a win-win negotiation.
What does it look like when we move away from win/win negotiations to mutually beneficial negotiations? Should we be more or less transparent about what we want to achieve by the end of a negotiation? Is leverage something we should stop using as a consideration in negotiations? What are our responsibilities as a negotiator? Chris Voss talks about all this and more while sharing real-life examples from his distinguished career. Do NOT miss this.
Outline of This Episode
- [1:51] Chris Voss’s background
- [2:58] What Chris believes win-win negotiation is
- [5:21] Is the definition of win-win too myopic?
- [7:21] Win-win: ideology versus reality
- [10:21] Engage in more transparent negotiations
- [11:25] There’s no such thing as leverage
- [13:39] Why the goal should be ‘long-term greedy’
- [15:55] Yes means nothing without the how
- [17:40] What’s happening at Black Swan
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Chris Voss
- ProcureCon Contingent Staffing
- Code: NN-PCS-2019 for 25% off
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod