Sales and Procurement Need to Engage in Genuine Conversations
Sales and procurement view each other as enemies—but don’t work to change that mindset. Both sides feel that the other doesn’t understand what they do and they have no empathy for each other. My guest today agrees that this needs to change. Sales and procurement need to start having real and genuine conversations.
In this episode of Negotiations Ninja, John Barrows joins me to start the conversation. Listen along as we chat about preparing for an impending market correction, the animosity between procurement and sales, and how to facilitate open dialogue between the two.
John has been in sales his entire career. He was VP of Sales & Marketing with Thrive Networks and Director of Sales & Training with Basho Technologies. Seven years ago, he launched JBarrows Sales Training. He’s passionate about providing customized training using proven sales techniques to help salespeople drive results.
Outline of This Episode
- [1:53] John Barrows jumps back on the podcast
- [2:43] John’s background and business
- [4:54] The interplay between procurement and sales
- [11:03] Two things sales teams should do to prep for a correction
- [18:23] It’s time to change the mode of communication
- [27:13] Understanding payment terms from a procurement viewpoint
- [30:47] The #1 thing John wishes procurement people knew about salespeople
- [32:25] John’s Book: I Want to Be in Sales When I Grow Up
Resources & People Mentioned
- John’s Book: I Want to Be in Sales When I Grow Up!
- BOOK: Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss and Tahl Raz
- The SDR Chronicles Podcast
Connect with John Barros
- Connect with John on LinkedIn
- Follow John on Instagram
- John’s Podcast: Make it Happen Mondays
- John’s website
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod