The Power of Story in Negotiation
Josh Weiss believes very deeply in the power of story. When you tell a story, there isn’t debate because they’re real things that really happened—not just theory. When people are skeptical of negotiation, its value, or its applicability it's often based more on myth than fact.
So Josh set out to show people what negotiation looks like in real-life in his new book, The Book of Real-World Negotiations. In this episode of the Negotiations Ninja podcast, Josh shares some of the stories that can bring immense value to the negotiation process. Don’t miss it!
Josh co-directs a project with William Ury at Harvard called the Global Negotiation Initiative. He directs Bay Path’s Master of Science in Leadership and Negotiation (which is completely online). Josh is also a negotiation consultant who works with numerous organizations.
Outline of This Episode
- [2:22] Josh Weiss background in negotiation
- [3:24] Josh talks about the power of story
- [7:19] How to make an agreement better
- [15:18] The value of the relationship
- [21:27] Hostage negotiations and onions
- [25:16] Team-based negotiations and deal fatigue
- [27:09] How to connect with Josh
Resources & People Mentioned
- Howard Raiffa
- Getting to Yes by William Ury
- Getting to Yes with Yourself by William Ury
- Association for Conflict Resolution
Connect with Josh Weiss
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod