How to Get Your Anger Under Control in a Negotiation
It’s become fairly evident that emotions play a large part in negotiations. Being able to manage your emotions is one of the most important parts of a negotiation. But when things go sideways, frustration builds, and tempers flare - so what do you do then? How do you keep your emotions from spinning out of control?
Svitlana Kalitsun realized through her career as a lawyer, that negotiation techniques aren’t taught—but they’re expected of lawyers. So she sought out negotiation training and found her calling. Now, Svitlanais a trainer at the Negotiation Academy, based in Vienna, Austria. She has 10+ years of experience working in leading law firms and large corporations. Svitlana is one of the leading women in the world at what she does.
Outline of This Episode
- [2:30] Svitlana Kalitsun’s background in negotiation
- [4:57] Why we counter emotion with emotion
- [6:52] How to counteract an angry response
- [11:41] How to deal with a counterparts emotion
- [17:11] What happens after you’ve cooled down?
- [18:24] Why “I feel” versus “you are”
- [22:00] Emotion is a distraction from the negotiation
- [22:52] How to connect with Svitlana Kalitsun
Connect with Svitlana Kalitsun
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod