Bernice Lee Explains Chinese Business Etiquette [Part 2]
The wonderful Bernice Lee returns to the podcast to share more about Chinese business etiquette. Bernice is an etiquette coach who was raised in Canada, worked in the U.S., and is now based in Hong Kong. She teaches Westerners and the local business communities all about the ins and outs of doing business in Hong Kong and China.
She’s an expert on the correct way to greet people, what to avoid, the big no-no’s, and even dinner etiquette. In this episode of Negotiations Ninja, we’re delving even deeper into etiquette concepts like saving face, proximity, physical space, and much more! This is an amazing free lesson that will greatly benefit business and sales professionals working in unfamiliar environments.
Outline of This Episode
- [2:39] Bernice Lee’s professional background in etiquette
- [3:58] Key differences in body language westerners need to be aware of
- [5:49] How do you handle the lack of personal space?
- [6:41] Other body language to be aware of
- [9:51] Why Chinese will lavish attention on your babies
- [10:57] Bernice’s top advice to Westerners
- [16:49] The concept of saving face and what it means
- [22:02] How does communication within a Chinese company differ?
- [22:50] The Chinese business etiquette of gift-giving
Connect with Bernice Lee
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod