Business Etiquette in Hong Kong [Part 1]
The wonderful Bernice Lee joins us today for a fascinating conversation about etiquette in Hong Kong. With so many of us traveling to Hong Kong and mainland China for business, understanding the cultural norms and business etiquette of the local area is critical. Bernice shares what to do and what NOT to do.
She helps decipher what conversations are appropriate at the dinner table, what proper greetings are, and the rules around socializing in and out of formal business meetings. Bernice is a graduate of Yale and Cornell who has lived and worked in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, and mainland China. She knows what she’s talking about. This is need-to-know information for international negotiators.
Outline of This Episode
- [3:01] Bernice’s background in business etiquette
- [4:14] How Hong Kong differs from mainland China
- [6:20] The proper way to greet someone in Hong Kong
- [10:46] The concept of saving face in Hong Kong
- [13:19] The importance of body language in interactions
- [16:34] The concept of personal space in conversation
- [22:54] When do you broach business conversation?
- [24:00] What is the drinking culture in Hong Kong?
- [28:20] How to properly thank your hosts
- [32:07] Be genuine, curious, and respectful
- [33:34] How to connect with Bernice
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Bernice Lee
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod