Detecting Deception in Negotiation
As we are all aware, every conversation, not to mention every negotiation, has much more going on under the surface than is easily seen by observers. Detecting deception, both manipulative and unconscious is part of what makes great negotiators outstanding. Dr. David Matsumoto specializes in understanding facial expression and trains negotiators, sales professionals, and leaders of all stripes how to notice and respond to the barely visible signals that often reveal what’s going on under the surface. Listen to this conversation. It’s fascinating to realize that all of us can become skilled at this nuanced but powerfully effective form of observation.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:35] Dr. David Matsumoto is a jewel and we’re honored to have him on the show
- [2:15] The amazing career and research of Dr. Matsumoto
- [5:05] Facial expressions: an overview of the less-obvious and what may be meant
- [8:05] How can we differentiate meaningful facial expressions from non-meaningful ones
- [11:57] Is the brain communicating in the face to express what our words are not?
- [17:01] Are there ways to ensure your face and words are congruent?
- [22:17] Do cultures change the micro-expressions?
- [24:37] What you can do right now to improve your facial or non-verbal observation
Connect with David Matsumoto
- David’s website: https://www.davidmatsumoto.com/
- www.Humintell.com (great courses from David you should use)
- David’s organization on LinkedIn
- Follow HumIntel on Twitter: @Humintell
Connect With Mark
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on Twitter: @NegotiationPod
- Connect with Mark on LinkedIn
- Follow Negotiations Ninja on LinkedIn
- Connect on Instagram: @NegotiationPod